Tuesday 1 October 2013

Giving up them cigarettes

As we all know, today is the first of October, also known as "Stoptober". Today was a bit of a fail. In Stoptober you are supposed to give up cigarettes (I smoke about 20 a day) for 28 days with the statistics saying that if you give up smoking for 28 days you are less likely to start again. Well, today I woke up later than usual (10 minutes before the bus leaves the bus stop) and I completely forgot that it was October! For some bizarre reason i thought September had 31 days and as soon as I got into town I bought a packet of smokes.



I realised my fatal mistake upon walking through the doors of my college from the shop to head to the smoking area, the thin plastic fell from between my fingers into the bin, the stiff carton opened and the delicate foil was torn away, my fingers closed on the filter as I removed the chosen one, placed the crisp paper between my lips and sparked up. The sound of the smouldering filled my ears, then, without warning my phone alerted me, the first thing I noticed was the date," Tuesday 1 October". I had failed. With that in mind I decided "sure I can start tomorrow"
I, by no means know what its like to be a life long smoker but I have been smoking for 4 years now, 3 years daily. That adds up to 140 cigarettes a week, 7280 a year, and over the past 3 years that adds up to a total of 21,840 cigarettes, meaning i have smoked 1,092 packs which at €9:40 a pack means that i have spent over €10,264.80. That's enough to buy a fairly good second hand car.
Looking back, I have no idea why I started smoking (well I do, but that's for a different blog) but I know for a fact that I wish I never started. Hopefully this whole "no smoking" drive will work.
Until my next blog, take care :)

No comments:

Post a Comment